Tuesday, January 22, 2008

WALKING A TIGHT ROPE…..

FIGHTING FOR A DIGNIFIED SURVIVAL

A 67 year old woman, who sits on the streets of Jan path, makes and sells jute ropes to survive as wants to die gracefully.

Strolling down the lane, wanting to indulge myself in window shopping; my ears shook to an indifferent soundA seemingly old lady was trying to sell jute ropes, a melancholy song to sell ropes; I was amazed, a gracious
Old lady asking me whether I would like to buy stuff from her? And I felt as if a poet has got his muse.
“Shanti Devi she said is her name given by her late husband .She is a granny now, being the mother of 3 Children, 2 boys and 1 girl. She is left alone, Alone to fight, Alone to live.

In this stage of life, when she wanted to take rest, sit back and see her kids prosper, she is left alone to survive.
Attributing her last earnings to her husband, she tells me, she has learned this craft from him now she doesn’t even have
A place, she can call her home, her abode.

“I can beg, she retaliated “but I don t,” “I want to die respectfully’’

Its not easy, there is no space for us! We face the brunt of selling our goods, fighting for our survival. The government is busy creating malls and we want commercialization but no one cares for these people!
The situation is so worse that even till now they are combating for their essential commodities. They want ration cards and identity cards, but fail to get it as they are not in a position to give bribe.

She suddenly looked into my eyes with ardent hope and told me “if you are writing a report on us, then may your report be our voice.”

And hopefully, my kids at least will be relieved from all the grievances.

Here, was the shattered mother who after being left by everyone still wants a bright future for her kids. such is the magnanimous heart of a “ma”

I was about to say thanks, but she silently said some golden words and I fumbled even to say such a petite word “thanks”

“I want to die by making my kids happy and not being a burden on them. I ll work so that they don’t have to spend their last penny on my last breath!”

8 comments:

Rozita Singh said...

wow!the woman seems 2 b so strong,fighting fr her survival everyday!nd wat she sed abt malls is really true....y doesnt r govt ncourage handlooms?indigenous crafts to flourish?u hav incorporated it well!

Meher B said...

oh wao
oh was
that was very touching.
It's sad how many helpless people one can find in CP.
No wonder Ms Yadav sent us there

Devz said...

I am at a loss of words...
"Ma" .. the woman who opens the doors of the world for u... left fending for herself..!!
What her "ungrateful" children forgot is tht 'Life is a boomerang.. wht goes in comes back to u..!!'

Adi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adi said...

da prior comments pretty much summarize evrything....


truly a very touching blog.....possibly da best...............................................



..................so far.

Rebel Raised by SATAN himself said...

Ma word really adds weight to the article!!! Well done

Unknown said...

a very well written dont know what to say .. post ..or .. giving voice n words to someones feelings n pain n sorrow.. (i am speechless n touched)

Unknown said...

just felt like sharing something ... In Islam its said that "Ma ke pairo ke niche jannat hai"